Intelligent solutions for the real-time monitoring and control of energy consumption.
Few industries are transforming as rapidly as the energy sector: Renewable energy with innovative technologies, varied regulations, changing price models and decentralized power generation. Machine-to-machine solutions fuel intelligent power networks, offering utilities efficient load sharing while consumers save with smart metering and smart homes. Power generators can now control assets from anywhere with M2M applications and use automation to quickly adapt to variations in power demand and supply.
Smart meters not only record usage, they automate communication between utilities and consumers. Equipped with tiny computers they use M2M solutions to analyze usage and digest price information, guiding loads to low-use periods when possible. Consumers get real-time data on when and where they’re using energy – and what it costs. Uncovering energy guzzlers and bad habits translates into savings and lower emissions.
Benefits for Consumers:
- Transparency improves usage habits
- Identify wasting of energy and even electricity theft
- Use the Internet to control smart appliances at home or office
- Eliminate intrusive meter readers
- Alerts when usage reaches pre-determined levels
Benefits for Energy Providers:
- Rapid deployment using cellular technologies
- Cost-efficient smart metering with improved security features
- Optimized power generation and trading
- Timely error reports improve service quality
- Detect network losses and theft
A smart grid is always aware of current power supply and demand. Intelligent power networks use M2M solutions to immediately react to critical events such as unexpected spikes or drops in the availability of renewable resources. The automated interaction of intelligent load sharing and smart metering generates a massive amount of information to streamline grids, lower costs and create a more reliable energy supply.
Benefit for Consumers:
- Dynamic pricing based on demand and usage
- Integration of smart appliances
- Efficient use of power from household solar panels and power plants
Benefit for Energy Providers:
- Dynamic pricing and efficient load balancing improves profitability
- Support more environmentally friendly usage
- Monitoring and automated reaction to changes in generation and demand
Benefit for Distribution System Operators (DSOs):
- Localization and monitoring simplifies asset management
- Rapid identification and localization of errors
- Improved detection of network losses and theft
Smart homes are based on smart metering and offer an increased level of automation. M2M solutions allow innovative electrical appliances to communicate with intelligent power networks. Intelligent power meters monitor energy consumption and guide the usage of electricity, warm water and heating. Still, smart homes require extra security in M2M communications, which could be integrated with fire and burglar alarms.
Benefit for Consumers:
- Remote monitoring and control of appliances, heating and lighting
- Reduced energy consumption and costs
- Improved appliance performance through automated error reports
Benefit for Producers and Service Providers:
- Innovative services for existing customers
- Additional M2M solutions can be added such as assisted living, security
- New revenue sources from smart services
Visit the M2M Marketplace, the unique e-commerce portal solely dedicated to M2M!